Does the fear of getting fake-looking teeth prevent you from replacing your lost teeth? We get it. We don’t like teeth that look unnatural either! Based on this fact, we offer natural-looking dental implants: the closest thing to your natural teeth. At Westlake Family Dentistry in Lake Oswego, Oregon, our dental implants not only look and feel like your natural teeth, but they function like the teeth you originally had!
The dental implant procedure
Dental implants are an effective, reliable, and long-lasting alternative to replace what you have lost. But whether you have lost your tooth to injury or gum disease, it’s vital to find the right dentist and have the right information about the dental implant procedure. Here is what to expect from typical dental implant treatment:
- Consultation: What’s the first step in a dental implant placement? Dental x-rays? Budget discussion? I suppose you might be wrong. The first step is a consultation with Dr. Brad Sievert. Here, we get to know you as a person to establish a long-lasting relationship. Plus, we take your medical history and explain the ins and outs of dental implants. We also address all the questions you have about the procedure.
- Dental x-rays: Next, it’s time to examine your overall oral health. With the help of a digital x-ray, we look out for signs of gum disease and recommend treatment before starting the implant procedure. Also, dental x-rays help establish if you have a healthy jawbone to support an implant. If not, we may recommend bone grafting to add volume and density to your jawbone.
- Tooth extraction: Where necessary, we may need to extract the decayed or damaged tooth before replacing it with an implant. The implant procedure can begin immediately or after you heal, depending on your health.
- Placing the implant: The dentist surgically inserts a titanium screw beneath your gum line. The procedure might sound scary, but it’s done after administering anesthesia. Plus, we can discuss sedation alternatives for added comfort.
- Healing: For about 4-6 months, we will give your gum tissue and bone time to heal. The jawbone grows around the implant post during this period to form a sturdy anchorage, just like your natural tooth root.
- Abutment placement: After the implant fully integrates with the jawbone, we install an abutment, which connects the implant post to the prosthetic component. The procedure needs about two weeks of recovery.
- Crown placement: The final step of the dental implant treatment is the installation of the crown. However, some people may need dentures or bridges, depending on the number of teeth lost.
The dental implant process isn’t an overnight procedure. However, the treatment is worth the wait because a dental implant is the closest thing you will get to a natural tooth!
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants are the best tooth replacement to restore the smile you once had. While the obvious benefit of dental implants is completing your smile for a beautiful look, they have numerous other benefits. These include:
- Prevent bone loss by continuously stimulating your jawbone, just like your natural teeth
- They can last for a lifetime with proper care
- Implants are easy to maintain
- Restore your full oral functionality — you can speak and chew as if you have 100% natural teeth
- Are natural-looking
Think you are a perfect candidate for dental implants in Lake Oswego, OR? Why don’t you book an appointment with Westlake Family Dentistry? The booking process is simple. Just dial (503) 662-9176, and our dental team will handle the rest.